Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Trouble Strikes Again

Day: 39
Dates Remaining: 10

You may remember a past post about a man I called Trouble. He adopted this name for a good reason since our first date consisted of him almost missing dinner and then calling me by his ex's name. But since then, I have heard so much about the importance of forgiveness and second chances that Trouble convinced me he deserved one.

Since Trouble and I travel to the same place for work, we arranged to go out of town this week and have a dinner out here. Trouble insisted that since it was my Birthday yesterday, he wanted to make this evening extra special.

I have to say, there is something dreary about heading out of town on a work mission. I'm not sure if it's the six hour round trip drive, the desolate highway, the lonely hotel room, the lack of good food or just the repetitive nature of the trip but whatever it is I do not look forward to my out of town runs. However, that is all different when a special dinner is planned.

Nonetheless, I woke up this morning feeling like I had been hit by a freight train and then run over my a bulldozer. I wish I could say that it was simply a birthday hangover but it was more than that. I felt totally drained and uncontrollably emotional. There is a bit of stress and pressure of the 50 Dates that seems to be taking its toll.

Feeling lousy, the last thing I wanted to do was haul ass on the highway to get here and spend the rest of the day on a wild chase, getting things done as quickly as possible. But knowing that I had a dinner to go to made the whole day that much easier and gave me something to look forward to.

I talked to Trouble this morning and we agreed that he'd call me once he made it to town and we'd pick a time and place to meet for dinner. I couldn't have been happier when he called at the end of the day but unfortunately, I was quickly reminded why I gave him the name Trouble.

He was calling to let me know that his company credit card had somehow been maxed out and he had to go back to Calgary because he had no way to expense his hotel, food and other such necessities. Apparently, he had also left his house without another credit card or form of payment. Should I call bullshit? Or can a supposedly professional man be this disorganized? I didn't know what to make of it so I quickly got off the phone after communicating my disappointment.

So, off to Starbucks I went to nurse another evening of being stood up. You know what's even more annoying than the simple disappointment of being stood up? It's the fact that I planned my entire week around coming out here. I could have done this trip some other time. I could have come out here last week. I could have stayed in town for a friend's dinner party. I could have brought my bike and gone for a ride. I could have made plans with another friend who lives here.

Canceling plans two minutes before they are supposed to happen is by far one of the most annoying habits that far too many people seem to have. You see, if there was some genuine reason that someone has to cancel, that's one thing. But forgetting to file expenses is a pretty lame reason to have to leave someone hung to dry 350km away from home.

But do I still believe in second chances? Of course. Is forgiveness still important? Without a doubt. Will I see Trouble again? I don't think so. Did I drown my disappointment in a massive chocolate milkshake? Absolutely!

1 comment: