Monday, May 3, 2010

From Blah Blah Blah to Page Turner

Day: 22
Dates Remaining: 23

I can hardly believe it, I am over the hump. The halfway point has passed and there are twenty three dates remaining. Not that twenty three is a small feat but if I can get through twenty seven, I should be able to do another twenty three, right? Yeah, no problem. I am slightly ahead of schedule but that is because I have to travel for work next week and I’m trying to get out of town for the May long week end where I may not be able to find a date. (But I will try!).

Anyhow, not only did I have two blind dates today but they were also back to back. I had a few minutes between the two to drive from point A to point B and make some quick phone calls on the road. I tell ya, it’s life in the fast lane around here.

So first, I met Blah Blah Blah. This is not the man’s nickname because he talked too much but in fact, it’s because he finished half of his sentences by saying, “blah blah blah.” For example, “I really like ice cream and cookies and blah blah blah.” Or, there was also, “I am so happy to meet someone who is athletic and has freckles and blah blah blah.”

The conversation was exceptionally boring especially since half of it consisted of blah blah blahs. However, even worse than that were the first ten seconds of the date when I walked into the coffee shop and walked over to Blah Blah Blah to greet him. Immediately, he pointed to the coffee bar and said, “Are you going to get yourself a coffee?”

Wow, nice to meet you too, I thought to myself. Also, what was the urgency for me to get myself a coffee when he was the one who wanted to meet me for coffee? Again, here we go with the issue regarding date requesting and treating. Regardless, I would have almost rather drowned myself in coffee than sit there for over an hour listening to Blah Blah Blah.

Then, the goodbye was the final kicker. Blah Blah Blah grabbed me for a hug and pulled me close. My 125lb body didn’t stand much of a chance against his six foot six monstrous frame. Despite the fact that I was trying to pull away he kept his arms around me as he said, “I think you are great and I had a nice time talking to you and blah blah blah.”

Somehow, I managed to duck out of there and drive myself to date number two of the evening where I met someone who heard about me in Metro. This young man was far more interesting than Blah Blah Blah and since he had so many books to talk about, we have to call him Page Turner.

I have to say, I am so impressed by people who have the courage to write to me after hearing about 50 Dates in 50 Days in the newspaper, through friends, from Breakfast Television or from another social or media outlet. In fact, one of the questions that Page Turner asked me was, “What are some similarities you are noticing with all of your dates?”

This really made me think. All of the dates have been so different that thinking of a similarity took a few moments. The first thing I could think of was how brave the guys have to be to put themselves out there and write an e-mail to a complete stranger going on 50 Dates in 50 Days. These guys are also great at picking a date outing which is perfect for avoiding that whole awkward conversation consisting of, “What do you want to do, I don’t know what do you want to do, I don’t know what do you want to?”

Anyway, Page Turner treated me to a great dinner where we chatted about many topics including good books. Being an avid reader and writer, I enjoyed hearing about some good new titles and meeting someone who loves the bookstore as much as I do.

Page Turner was far more exciting and interesting than Blah Blah Blah and I had a good time with him. Nonetheless, in the interest of maintaining a slight degree of mental sanity, I highly recommend that everyone avoid going on two blind dates in one night.

1 comment: