Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Another Year Older and Hopefully Wiser

Day: 38
Dates Remaining: 11

Oh Birthdays, they are always such a hoot, and I have to say that I had one of the best ones yet yesterday. I packed in as much into one day as humanly possible; swimming, biking, Starbucks (twice), a great dinner with friends and of course, a date.

This particular date was a second date with someone I referred to as Gmail. He adopted this name since he is always on Gmail chat and we have developed a fantastic Gmail chat relationship. Our regular conversations always keep me entertained while I'm reading e-mails or updating the blog. In fact, it's almost funny when we get together in person because we have chatted way more behind computer screens than we have face to face.

This brings up an interesting point about modern technology. Does it enable people to be different than who they really are when they are hiding behind a screen? Does typing on a keyboard instead of using verbal communication allow people to say things that they normally wouldn't say to someone's face? I certainly think so.

Luckily, for Gmail, this is not the case. He took me out for an absolutely delicious Birthday brunch where I felt the necessity to devour the largest piece of chocolate cake available in Calgary. Though this left me feeling like a pregnant hippo, we continued our good conversation over a walk by the river. It was an epic, sunny afternoon and my Birthday date could not have gone better.

Then, last night, someone pointed out that I have entered my late 20's...is that really true if you are only 26? I'd say that's still mid twenties, not that age matters that much to me anyway. It's mainly that I feel like it was just yesterday that I was turning 16! I guess time flies when you're having a blast!

3 comments:

  1. I think age is purely in your head. I know 24 year olds that act 40+ and heck, 40 year olds who act 21. I myself am 26... so maybe it's just me justifying late twenties to myself as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sky, I hope when all of this is over you will let us know if you start dating one of these guys or if it is someone completely new.

    I love how you tell us about your dates, in story format.

    I can see that you Are a Writer, indeed.

    I do look forward to checking your blog everyday to see if the date was a good one or not so nice one.

    I am old enough to be your mom but I can tell you that way back when there were some good guys and some not so nice ones.

    I see nothing has changed. lol

    Tsanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some friends and I were discussing the mid-20s versus late-20s divide a little while ago. I'd say that 27 is definitely late 20s, and 25 is definitely mid 20s. I think that 26 still counts as mid 20s.

    ReplyDelete