Thursday, April 29, 2010

You Have 5 Seconds to Live...

...What do you do?

Day: 18
Dates Remaining: 28

Imagine this: You are in a +15 (we have indoor bridges in this city that link downtown office buildings together to avoid the frigid cold), you are with your true love, you are watching chaos unleash itself around you as buildings explode because a meteor is crashing down onto the earth and you have five seconds to live. How do you react? How do you feel? What do you do with your last moments on this planet?

Yes, this must sound dramatic and completely out there but my date last night wanted to act out this particular moment with me and capture it on camera. At this point, I'm sure you are wondering what on earth this means and what was this guy thinking? Well, this creative individual, who we will call 5 Seconds, had a vision and brought me along to act out this moment for his artwork.

5 Seconds had e-mailed me a couple of weeks ago since he had read about me in the newspaper. We proceeded to exchange a few e-mails where it was obvious that 5 seconds not only had a good sense of creativity but was also rather comical.

His suggestion for me to help him with this project intrigued me as I used to do a lot of photography. He sent me a few pieces of his art but did not reveal exactly how I would be worked into his project. That, 5 Seconds left as a mystery.

5 Seconds and I met last night and chatted over a brief coffee where he explained the project idea to me. This is tricky for me to explain but his work is not just a photo but art where the photo gets dramatically edited to look amazing tell a story. I asked 5 Seconds if I can post our photo up here when it is ready and he agreed so fear not, you will be able to see it.

After our coffee, 5 Seconds led me around the +15s until we arrived to the perfect one. This +15 had been handpicked for this project. At this point, I was still unsure what exactly was going to happen but being easy going, I rolled with it. I stood in the middle of the hallway for a few minutes while 5 Seconds got his equipment ready. He then took a few test shots and then we were good to go.

5 Seconds set the self timer, walked over to where I was standing and looked deep into my eyes as he told me to imagine that the world would be ending in 5 seconds. He then grabbed me by the hips, pulled me towards him and held me so close that I could feel his lips brush against mine. Snap! The moment was captured.

I'm not going to lie, this all took me by surprise. I wasn't sure what to make of this situation. I have to say that this is the first time a date has ever been so close within the first hour of us meeting. But, we are artists and by the sounds of it, this photo will be great.

I kid you not, we spent the next hour holding each other close, almost kissing and then finally kissing to act out this scene. We walked back and forth to the camera after each shot to dissect out acting abilities. Maybe instead of a writer I should pursue a career in acting?

I realize that this has the potential to sound creepy but once you see the final product, it will make total sense. And believe it or not, it wasn't at all strange. In fact, I had a great time with this unique idea. Perhaps this is because 5 Seconds was funny and sweet but it could also be because I enjoy new, challenging situations. But I do hope that I'm not encouraging guys out there to bring a camera and set up a story in order to get a kiss within the first hour of a date.

Once 5 Seconds and I were pleased with a lot of the shots he had taken, we packed up and went for a few drinks where we had a great time chatting and getting to know one another.

Overall, I was very impressed by 5 Seconds. He pushed the envelope and suggested something different. Very different. He wasn't scared to put himself out there to get me to help him with his project. I mean, really, he wrote me an e-mail after reading about me in the paper. That takes courage. I cannot wait to see the completed photo and share it with you. And hey, maybe I'll get the opportunity to be the subject in another photographic adventure?

Before I wrap this up, you may have wondered how my date count decreased by two yesterday. This was because earlier in the day, before meeting 5 Seconds, I had lunch with my Tumbling Farmer (you may remember him from a couple of weeks ago). What a phenomenal, genuine, down to earth guy.

It's interesting, however, how someone can be so great but there be something missing. Why is that? It is because our personalities don't jive? Is it because he wants to go work out in a camp in Fort Mac? Or is it because he wants to move to a farm? I have far too many nice shoes to live on a farm. I can't wear them for the cows. Not that I ever think long term like that but we just don't have much in common in terms of life paths. But that's okay, we had a great time and hopefully we can remain fiends.

Overall, yesterday was a successful and exciting day as number 18 of the 50. But now I have a ton of work that needs to be done before I head out to a BBQ with my speed dating Australian. Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment