Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Insecurities


Wow, it has been a while since I’ve written. My vacation pulled me away from this cyber abyss and into a glorious world of endless mountain biking, hanging out on the beach and chilling with good friends. It was a fantastic week but today it was back to reality. Back to work, back to the grind, back to the rat race.

There was so much excitement over the past week but one thing that I want to talk about is insecurities. We all have them, we all experience others’, but we don’t all recognize them.

Insecurities can cause people to act out of line, to lash out at others and overall, to feel badly about themselves. This topic just came to mind because when I was in Vancouver last week-end, I saw a couple fight in a way that I had never before seen.

I was at a party at someone’s condo and towards the end of the night, we could all hear screaming and loud banging coming from the bathroom. At first, I thought the two of them were in there having a good time but it didn’t take long for me to realize that the banging was not from pleasure and the screams were not orgasmic.

I could hear the girl screaming at her boyfriend about how she feels that he doesn’t prioritize her. The whole thing sounded ridiculous as he tried to apologize and tell her that he cares about her. I tried to mind my own business and not listen to the commotion but it was rather distracting since the bathroom was right next to the kitchen that I was standing in.

Finally, a friend of the couple had to intervene and walk the girl who was still on a rampage downstairs to get into a cab. The guy crawled out of the bathroom with his tail between his legs, looking as though he was going to burst into tears. He apologized endlessly as he showed us the huge bruise on his arm from where she had aggressively bitten him.

I couldn’t believe it! Not only had she dug her teeth into his flesh but she had also ripped off the toilet seat and lid from the toilet and spilled stuff everywhere. Was this fight based on anything reasonable? Absolutely not. Is behaviour like this ever acceptable? No way. Is this chick completely insecure? That, to me, is obvious.

It’s too bad that so many people get lost in their insecurities and as a result their own issues ruin things for other people and usually it’s loved ones who feel the pain. This fight was obviously an extreme situation but I have seen so many arguments that are based on something so silly and get blown way out of line because of someone’s insecurity. I guess we’re all going to be insecure in one way or another but it would be great if we could recognize our own insecurities and try to work on them so they don’t ruin many great things that life has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. Pff, ouah, c'est ridicule, n'y a-t-il rien de plus intéressant à faire dans la vie que de s'embêter avec ça? bien sûr que si (http://whatisbeautiful.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/catching-up/)! Peut-être n'ont-ils aucune passion pour autre chose de plus créateur. Enfin.

    je suis content de partir dans quinze jours, quoiqu'il se passe, ça fait des bonnes vacances dans les rockies, je suis heureux de faire ça, j'aime ça mais vivement juin 2011 au Yukon pour ce qui a de plus beau au monde, vivre, le sentir sous le soleil, la pluie, le vent, les étoiles, ahh, seul ou pas c'est mieux que de passer son temps à se disputer, à vouloir être le premier, à "réussir" du matériel... T'as fait un bon trajet jusque l'océan, ça devait être bien.

    ReplyDelete