Friday, July 16, 2010

The End of the World


Before I dive into my thoughts on the daunting topic of commitment, I'd like to apologize for not posting this photo earlier. I thought I had put it up but I had a request the other day to see it so I guess I must have forgotten. This is a photo from my first date with 5 Seconds when he brought us to a +15 to act out the end of the world.

Good thing it wasn't actually the end of my existence; but, to me, commitment feels like the end of the world. A few weeks ago I wrote an entry about choices and how nowadays there are so many. I always hear people from older generations say, "You are so lucky. When I was your age I didn't have half the choices and opportunities that you have."

Am I really lucky? Is it really a good thing that there are so many things to chose from? Because really, all of these choices are confusing and making it tricky to make a decision in life.

This obviously doesn't only apply to committing to a relationship but committing to anything as simple as Friday night plans. Since graduating from university I have been lucky to have so many opportunities but the plethora of options has transformed me into an anti-committal human being. And that, that is scary.

I realized the other day that people who flit around and don't do much don't really succeed because they never chose something and stick with it until the end. Something better may come up and one can just flit over to that. This happens in relationships as well where one partner may meet someone else and just skip over to that person. Isn't that terrible?

I do not want to be like this so I am actively going to try to change my ways by committing to more things and not looking back. This doesn't mean I'm going to jump into a relationship, change my career and move into a new house overnight but I have to stop flaking around and actually decide something and stick to it. If you are like me, you have a million ideas floating around in your head of things you'd like to do but you are nervous or scared to dive in. However, I have learned that by putting yourself into a challenging situation, you either float or drown. So far, I have stayed above water so it's time that I challenge myself, stop flaking around, and really understand that commitment is absolutely not the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment