Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Am I really doing this?

So here I am, it's almost midnight, I have to work in seven hours and instead of sleeping like a responsible career lady, I'm thinking about men. Wow, is there nothing better to think about? Of course there is! But somehow, I have become as boy crazed as a hormonal teenager. There must be something polluting the Calgary air these days.

Well it could be the pollution, or perhaps the fact that I recently got myself out of the most destructive relationship I have ever been in. Details aren't necessary but you can say that I was dating one of the most narcissistic human beings alive who was sucking the life right out of me.

I got out of that mess and suddenly, I could breathe! The liberating feeling of my sudden freedom was positively overwhelming. I couldn't stop smiling. As corny as it sounds, I was high on life. I was and still am walking around in a bubble of glory, so happy to be out of that wretched mess and back in control of my life.

Well, almost in control. You see, being boy crazy creates a high level of excitement with limited control and this spell has recently overcome my existence. It is driving me nuts but seems to be providing endless entertainment for my friends whose long term relationships don't drum up too much drama.

Anyhow, before I dive into the details of my new project, it's important for you to know that I wrote a book about dating. Not another lame "how to" book, but one that is divided into relevant chapters such as rejection, timing and love triangles. Embedded in the chapters are stories of outrageous dating catastrophes sure to leave your sides sore from laughing so hard. I would love nothing more than to get it published; however, writing letters to agents and publishers is quite like throwing a message in a bottle into the ocean and hoping to get a response. Highly, highly unlikely.

So I've been talking to numerous people about my book and heard many times about the importance of creating a platform and getting my name out there. I have blogged before so I know the amount of attention that an interesting website can attract.

However, I did not want to simply write about the dating experiences that are in the book because that would defeat the purpose of writing the book. I thought about it and with a bit of encouragement decided that a side project was in order.

Now, this isn't just any project. This is one that will require discipline, persistence and quite possibly a bit of skill. Well, a lot of skill. Throw some time management and patience in there and blend it up with a bit of tolerance and here you have it: 50 dates in 50 days.

How? Who? What? These are some questions you may be asking yourself. Well, I'm going to have to do some work on the finer details of this situation but essentially I am going to put myself out there and go on 50 dates in a matter of 50 days. I'm going to sleep on this idea tonight. And maybe for a few more nights to come up with a master plan so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment